跨文化交际英语教程什么时候考试吗

跨文化交际试题和答案
Information for the examinees:
This examination consists of three sections.& They are:
Section& Ⅰ :&&&&& Listening Test (30 points, 30 minutes)
Section& Ⅱ :&&&&& Reading Test (50 points, 60 minutes)
Section& Ⅲ :&&&&& Writing Test (20 points, 30 minutes)
The total marks for this examination are 100 points. Time allowed for completing this examination is 2 hours (120 minutes).
&Section& Ⅰ: Listening Test&&&&&&& 30 points
Instructions:
■ The Likening Test will take approximately 30 minutes.
■ There are two pans to the test and you will hear each part twice.
■ There will he a pause of 30 seconds before each part to you look through ,h questions and another one after each part to allow you to think about your answers.
■ You can first write your answers on this test paper. You will have 10 minutes at the end of the test to transfer your answers to the Answer Sheet.
■ ALL ANSWERS MUST APPEAR ON THE ANSWER SHEET.
Part 1: Questions 1 & 10 are based on this part.&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& 10 points
You are going to listen to a telephone conversation between a student and a professor. Choose the best answer from A, B, C and D to answer each question. Write your answers on the Answer Sheet.
1. What is the name of the course that Benjamin Jones has taken?
A. History.
C. Art history.
D. Art gallery.
2.The speaker makes the call firstly because________.
A. his roommate is ill, and cannot hand in the term paper
B.he knows the teacher well
C. he wants to choose this course
D.he is ill, and cannot hand in his term paper
3.& Which description about .he course &Landscape Painters& is no, true?
A.& It&s a course for non-art majors.
B. We&ll be looking at several different painters and examining their works.
C. We&ll also look at the history and politics of the era in which they lived.
D. It is a course for art majors.
4. What is true about the requirement for this course?
A. The students must pass the final exam.
B. The students have no final exam.
C. The students have to give a major presentation about all the painters.
D. The students have to give a major presentation about the art history.
5. Where is the location of the professor&s office?
A. The office is in the fine arts building right next to the library.
B. The office is in the fine arts building right next to the gate.
C. The office is in the fine arts building to the right of the library.
D. The office is in the fine arts building to the right of the gate.
Part 2: Questions 6&15 are based on this part.& (10 points)
You are going to listen to a part of a lecture on cultural diversity at home. As you listen, fill in the blanks to complete Sentences 6 & 15. Note:Only one word is necessary for each blank.
6.& It has long been recognized that cultural variables influence how children present themselves, understand the world, and _______________ experiences.
7. Culture also affects the experiences through which children&s earliest__________ and number knowledge are acquired.
8. Some of these experiences may be________________ focused on encouraging learning, such as reading books to children or instructing them to count.
9. More common are activities that provide implicit,________________ support for various types of learning in the context of shared everyday activities.
10.Efforts to create effective classroom environments for young children from diverse cultural and______________ backgrounds should be based on knowledge about.
11. It is critical to identify those aspects of children&s cultural backgrounds that have the greatest relevance for children&s________________, motivation, and learning at school.
12. The workshop participants suggested many possibilities as important___________.
13. They fell into three________________.
14.&(2) the nature and extent of parent-child____________ and other experiences.
15.&(3)&& social ________________ that affect the ways in which knowledge and skills pertinent to early learning are communicated among and used by family members. This is the end of the Listening Test
Section Ⅱ : Language Appropriacy and Accuracy&&&&&&& [30 points]
I There are altogether 15 statements below.& You are offered four choices marked with A, B, C, and D for each statement. Choose the most appropriate one and write the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
16. When the home market is already glutted with wheat, blindly importing wheat means not only carrying coals to Newcastle, but also bankruptcy of local farmers.
A.&& gilding the lily
B.&& building castles in Spain
C.& having a big mouth
D.&& casting pearls before swine
17. That was only a harmless lie.& I didn&t wan, .0 hurt her.&& I know if she knew the truth, she would do something silly.
A. a green lie
B. a white lie
C. a gray lie
D. a blue Lie
18. He was discovered in the act of cheating by looking up his textbooks in the exam.
A. caught red-handed
B. caught white-handed
C. caught black-handed
D. caught green-handed
19. He is a straight shooter, and hence has offended a lot of people.
A. doing things decisively and with flair
B. always attacking his opponents& weak points aggressively and without mercy
C. honest and frank on his talk
D. boasting
20. I always think I&m a lucky dog.& But this deal has turned out to be a dead duck.
A. terrible mistake
B. complete failure
C. lion in the way
D. fly in the ointment
21. Don&t behave rudely with me, young man. &I&m sorry.&& I didn&t mean to offend you.
A. freak out
B. hit it off
C. go bananas
D. come it
22. No wonder he is so sad these days.& His grandfather pushed up the daisies a week ago.
A. passed away
B. relieved himself
C. was not all there
D. was in a family way
23. Nobody can persuade him to do that.& He is very stubborn.
A. as stubborn as a mule
B. as stubborn as a cow
C. as stubborn as a goose
D. as stubborn as a duck
24. He tried to answer the teacher&s questions, but he was out in the left field.
A. was not able to do so
B. gave a totally wrong answer which had no relevance to the teacher&s question
C. could not express himself completely
D. had a soar throat and could not speak
25. It&s no use worrying about a remote happening.
A.& Don&t count your chickens before they are hatched.
B. Don&t have too many irons in the fire.
C. Don&t change horse in mid-stream.
D. Don&t cross the bridge till you get to it.
26.In different culture, the ways of thought may differ. Americans are_______, stressing the need for action. However French are ________. playing great weight on careful thought and logic.
A. psychomotor-oriented, affective-oriented
B. psychomotor-oriented, cognitive-oriented
C. affective-oriented, cognitive-oriented
D. affective-oriented, psychomotor-oriented
27. Which one in the following is Not an idiomatic expression?
A. as cunning as a fox
B. as wise as a monkey
C. as blind as a bat
D. as majestic as a lion
28. We know that the dog is regarded as man&s best friend in the West, but sometimes dogs also have negative associations, such as & _______ &.
A. A top dog
B. Get the dog
C. He worked like a dog
D. Lead a dog&s life
29. The uncle encouraged the boy not to be& _______ saying that he should fight back the bully.
A. as slippery as an eel
B. as timid as a hare
C. as meek as a lamb
D. as majestic as a lion
30. The new office block has become an expensive white elephant.
A. a thing that is rather large and eye-catching
B. a thing that is useless and expensive to maintain
C. a value gift that shouldn&t be given away
D. a thing whose symbolic meaning is profound and far-reaching
Section Ⅲ: Reading Comprehension&&&&&&& &[20 points]
Part 1: Questions 31&35 are based on this part.& (10 points)
Read Passage 1 and then answer Questions 31 & 35 briefly. Write your answers on the Answer Sheet.
Every culture has its own body language, and children absorb its nuances along with spoken language. A Frenchman talks and moves in French. The way an Englishman crosses his legs is nothing like the way an American male does it. In talking, Americans are apt to end a statement with a droop of the head or hand, a lowering of the eyelids. They wind up a question with a lift of the hand, a lifting of the chin, or a widening of the eyes. With a future-tense verb they often gesture with a forward movement.
There are regional body languages, too: an expert can sometimes pick out a native of Wisconsin just by the way he uses his eyebrows during conversation. Your sex, ethnic Aground, social class, and personal style all influence your body language.&& The person who is truly bilingual is also bilingual in body language.
Usually the wordless communication acts to qualify the words. What the nonverbal elements express very often, and very efficiently, is the emotional side of the message. When a person feels liked or disliked, often it&s a case of &not what he said but the way& he said it. & Psychologist Albert Mehrabian has devised this formula: total impact of a message = 7%verbal +38% vocal +55% facial. The importance of the voice can be seen when you consider that even the words &1 hate you& can be read to sound special.
Experts in kinetics & the study of communication through body movement & are not prepared to spell out a precise vocabulary of gesture. When an American rubs his nose, it may mean he is disagreeing with someone or rejecting something. But there are other possible interpretations, too. For example, when a student in conversation with a professor holds the older man&s eyes a little longer than usual, it can be a sign of r it can be a subtle challenge to the professor& or it can be something else entirely. The expert looks for patterns in the context, not for an isolated meaningful gesture.
31. What is mainly discussed in the opening paragraph?
32. How can an expert in kinetics tell whether a person is a native of Wisconsin or not?
33. According to the writer, what factors affect one&s body language?
34. What is the function of nonverbal communication?
35. Can we get a precise meaning through one particular gesture?
Part 2: Questions 36&40 are based on this part. (10 points)
Read Passage 2 and then decide whether Statements 36-40 are True or False according to the information given in the passage. Write &&T& for true and &F& for false on the Answer Sheet.
In some respects we are like computers that are controlled by operating systems - our culture. Anthropologists Edward T. Hall and Mildred Reed Hall suggested that culture is &a sy5lern for creating, sending, storing, and processing information. - Sounds rather like the standard definition for a computer, doesn&t it? This useful metaphor helps us better understand how culture operates. Think of your body as the hardware of a computer. Computers may have more than one operating system, such as DOS, Mac, Unix, or Windows. They also have software that controls specific applications, such as word processing, spreadsheets, and presentations. When you are functioning under one operating system, say as a European North American, you behave like others in that group. But at times you may be controlled by another operating system, say, when you are in a situation where you are functioning as a female. Society programs men and women to act differently. Gender, race, age, religion, and many other factors affect our behavior. These factors are like operating systems that program us to behave in certain patterns.
Just as Unix operating system has trouble communicating with a DOS machine, so do people from one culture have difficulty getting through to those from another culture. Because individuals have more than one operating system, they do not always behave as expected. And just as operating systems can control many software applications, people are further differentiated by the software application that may be operating at any given time. For example, work cultures differ remarkably from one organization to another. When people conditioned to work in casual surroundings are placed in work cultures that are more formal and regimented, they may experience culture shock.
The important thing to remember is that culture is a powerful operating force that conditions the way we think and behave.& And yet, we are not truly computers.& As thinking individuals, we are extraordinarily flexible and are capable of phenomenal change.
36. In some way people are like computers that are controlled by operating systems-culture.
37. Society programs men and women of the same culture not to act differently.
38. Just as computers with different operating systems have difficulty communicating, people from different cultures cannot communicate with each other.
39. Gender, race, age, religion, and many other factors are like operating systems that program us to behave in certain patterns.
40. In one society, people conditioned to work in casual conditions will not be shocked when placed in formal work cultures.
Section Ⅳ: Communication Analysis&&&&&& [30 points]
Instructions: The following are three different cases of cross-cultural communication. In each of the cases there is something to be improved upon. Write an analysis on what is to be desired for more successful communication or cultural understanding in each case by answering Questions 41&43 respectively. Your analysis of each case should be 100&150 words. Write your answers on the Answer Sheet.
Note! Your writing ability will also be assessed in this section of the test.
Case 1 (7 points)
Linhua has accompanied an American delegation to visit China. They have experienced the hospitality of the Chinese people. After returning to America, Linhua once visited them. They were so glad to meet again. Linhua offered to host the meal, but they refused. They ordered their own dish, and Linhua ordered her own. When footing the bill, they only paid their part, and no one wanted to pay for Linhua. Linhua found them so inhospitable, though she knew the Americans would usually pay for their own food.
Question 41. Why did Linhna find them inhospitable?
Case 2 (10 points)
Zhou came to the United States for overseas study half a year ago.&& When he worked part-time in a restaurant, he made friends with an American student Jim.
One day, as they were leaving work, Jim asked Zhou, &Zhou, I need a favor. I have to go over 10 school, and I&m out of money.& Could you lend me a dollar so I can take the bus over there and then get home? I&ll pay you back tomorrow. &
&Sure, Jim. No problem. You don&t have to pay me back,& said Zhou, as he handed Jim a dollar.
As soon as he got to work the next day, Jim went over to Zhou and handed him a dollar, saying, &Thanks, Zhou.& I really appreciated this last night.& It sure was too cold to walk. &
&Forget it,& said Zhou, as he handed back his dollar.
&Oh, no. I insist. 1 don&t want to take advantage of a friend. What if 1 needed to borrow money again sometime? If I didn&t pay you back now, I would feel wrong asking to borrow money again,& said Jim, as he put the dollar into Zhou&s shirt pocket.
Zhou answered, & But that&s what friends for. In China, we have a saying &today for you, tomorrow for me. &If you pay me back, I will feel that I won&t be able to ask you for money when I need it. I will feel like you are closing the door on me, and that there is no trust between us. I thought we were friends. How can I take the money?& Zhou handed back the dollar.
&But I won&t feel right if you don&t take it!& said Jim.
Question 42:
Why did Jim insist on returning the dollar to Zhou? Why didn&t Zhou want to take it? What culture values are reflected in their attitudes?
Case 3 (13 points)
Study the following two short speeches. One is given by a Hong Kong Chinese and the other by an American businessman.
A. Because most of our production is done in China now, and it&s not really certain how Hong Kong will he like after 1997, and since I think a certain amount of caution in committing to TV advertisement is necessary because of the expense, so, I suggest that we delay making our decision until after Legco makes its decision.
B. I suggest that we delay makin8 our decision until after Legco nukes its decision. That&s because I think a certain amount of caution in committing to TV dvertisement is necessary because of the expense, In addition to that production is done in China now, and it&s not really certain how Hong will like after 1997.
Question 43:
Which speech might be given by the Chinese and which by the American? Give your reasons.
中央广播电视大学学年度第二学期&开放本科&期末考试
英语专业& 跨文化交际& 试题答案及评分标准
(供参考)
&&& 2005年7月
Section Ⅰ: Listening&&&&&& &&[20 points]
Part 1&&& (10 points, 2 points each.)
1.C& &&&&&&&&&&2.A&&&&&&&&&& 3.D&&&&&&&&&&&&& 4.B&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& 5.A
Part 2. (10 points, 1 point each. The exact words are required. )
6. interpret
7. literacy
8. explicitly
9. unintentional
10. linguistic
11. adjustment
12. factors
13. categories
14. interactions
15. conventions
Section Ⅱ: Language Appropriacy and Accuracy [30 points] (30 points, 2 points each.)
16. A&&&&&&&&& 17. B&&&&&&&&&&& 18. A&&&&&&&&&& 19. C&&&&&&&&&&&& 20. B
21. D&&&&&&&&& 22. A&&&&&&&&&&& 23. A&&&&&&&&&& 24. B&&&&&&&&&&&& 25. D
26. B&&&&&&&&& 27. B&&&&&&&&&&& 28. D&&&&&&&&&& 29. B&&&&&&&&&&&& 30. B
Section Ⅲ: Reading Comprehension&&&&&&&& [20 points]
Part 1: (10 points, 2 points each. 0. 5 point off for each grammar/spelling mistake, but at most 1 point can be deducted for each item for the grammar/spelling mistakes. The exact wording is not required, but the meaning must be the same. )
31. Every culture has its own body language.
32. By the way he uses his eyebrows during conversation.
33. One&s sex, ethnic background, social class, and personal style all influence one&s body language.
34. It acts to qualify the words.
Part 2. (10 points, 2 points each.)
36.& T&&&&&&&&&&&& 37. F&&&&&&&&&& 38. F&&&&&&&&&& 39. T&&&&&&&&& 40. F
Section Ⅳ : Communication Analysis&&&&&& [30 points]
Question 41.
Case 1 (7 points: 5 points for the analysis, 2 points for overall language quality.)
1)In China, to show hospitality, people tend to host the meal.&& And if they cannot do this, they at least will struggle to pay for the guest.
2)In America, people tend to pay for themselves to show equality and independence. 3)Linhua knows this custom, but from a Chinese point of view, she still finds this hard to accept, and feels it a little inhospitable.
Question 42.
Case 2 (10 points: 8 points for the analysis, 2 points for overall language quality. )
1)Jim was keeping his promise when he returned the dollar. Americans regard credibility as very important. The value of self-reliance is also important to Americans. They do not feel it right to rely on others for too much. In American culture, owing too many favors means being dependent. Americans see this as a weakness. They cannot respect themselves if they feel too much &in debt& to other people, financially or otherwise. Instead, they prefer to be &free& from obligations to others.
2)0ne reason Zhou did not want to accept Jim&s dollar was that in Chinese culture it is very important to be generous to friends. Generosity and respect for friends& generosity are two values that explain many Chinese customs and attitudes. Chinese do not try to return small amount of money for they don&t want to suggest to their friends that they are stingy and &haggle over every ounce&.& This is why Jim&s refusal to accept Zhou&s generosity made Zhou question their friendship.
Question 43.
Case 3 (13 points: 11 points for the analysis, 2 points for overall language quality.)
1)The message of the two versions is the same but the way it is expressed is different. 2)The first speech might be made by the Chinese.& Even though the words and sentences of the speaker are quite clear, it does not seem quite clear what the speaker&s main point is.
3)The second is what the Western people might expect.
4)The reason lies in the different discourse patterns between Chinese and English. The deductive (topic-first) pattern is prevalent in the West. The Chinese and other Asians favor the inductive (topic-delayed) pattern. The Western people are in the habit of directly expressing their ideas, while the Chinese employ an indirect way when presenting their ideas.
&&最后修改于
请各位遵纪守法并注意语言文明

我要回帖

更多关于 跨文化交际 祖晓梅 的文章

随机推荐